Low Input Viticulture and Enology (LIVE) Certification
Low Input Viticulture & Enology, Inc. program (LIVE, Inc.) is a program providing vineyards and wineries official recognition for sustainable agricultural practices that are modeled after international standards. These standards are highly regarded by winemakers and consumers worldwide. They provide assurance of fruit quality and practices used to achieve this quality.
The certification program provides growers with a list of vineyard practices that are either prohibited or required; in addition the program requires that growers institute a number of ecological options. A point system for ecological options was developed and growers are required to obtain at least one half of the points to become certified.
1. To see the vineyard as a whole system.
2. To create and maintain viticulture that is economically viable over time.
3. To maintain the highest level of quality in our fruit production. Integrated production should not require any compromise of our quality standards
4. To implement cultural practices and to solve problems in such a way that we minimize the use of off farm inputs, such as agricultural chemicals and fertilizers, with the goal of protecting the farmer, the environment, and society at large.
5. To encourage farming practices which promote and maintain high biological diversity in the whole vineyard.
To encourage responsible stewardship of soil health, fertility, and stability.