We collaborate with agriculture projects that are involved in
or working toward more sustainable practices.
The focus of AENW is providing environmentally sound solutions for farmers and other landholders via whole systems design in the management of: soil, plants, livestock, integrated pest management, water harvesting and buffer zone enhancement.
AENW is involved with education and research opportunities in agro-ecology as well a certifying agent for the Eco-labeling organizations Salmon Safe and LIVE (Low Input Viticulture and Enology).
|More Info On:|
Sharing expertise in the following areas:
FARM PLANNING AND SITE ASSESSMENT
- Comprehensive site analysis and needs assessment
- Design Master Plans for farms, homesteads, homes (urban/rural)
- Placement of elements for maximum effectiveness, efficiency, and a multifunctional approach (water catchment's, crops, structures, animals.
- Developing farm plans for land and water use law compliance
- Technical assistance for small and part-time start-up farmers
- Crop selection recommendations: vegetables, berries, nuts, orchards, forestry, hedgerows, cover crops and more
- Identifying income producing opportunities
- Working within budget and time allotted for maintenance
- Designs tailored for clients' resources and skills
- Soil fertility and plant nutrition recommendations
- Water catchment Options
- Livestock management systems
- Pest and disease monitoring and control recommendations
URBAN AND RURAL SERVICES
- Integrated pest management (IPM) programs for home, institutions, and farms
- Permaculture and edible landscape design
- Agro-forestry design including hedgerows and orchards
EDUCATION AND RESEARCH
- Design and evaluations of research trials
- Writing grants and grant fulfillment
- Technical advising for on-farm research
- Agro-ecology based curriculum and workshops
ARTICLE: Water from the Land: An Overview
WORK IN PROGRESS: Book on Multi-Functional Hedgerows
Hobbs Farm and Landscape Design
Since 1982, her businesses, Agro-Ecology Northwest and Cascadia Landscape Design, has specialized in whole systems design with a focus on soil building, water harvesting, and appropriate plant selection. She has written A Guide to Multi-Functional Hedgerows for Oregon State University Extension Service.